MODERNIZE YOUR MAINFRAME. LIBERATE DATA.
BENEFIT FROM CLOUD ECONOMICS AND DATA ANALYTICS.
Mainframe modernization is a top priority for most enterprises, however challenging to get started with. mainstorconcept and Model9 can help. We believe modernization can best be approached as a journey with milestones along the way.
Model9 Cloud Data Manager for Mainframe offers a software solution that represents a safe, low-risk path forward. It is built on proven, patented technology that delivers mainframe data to any cloud or on-premises storage platform. This enables strategic organizational initiatives while providing immediate value: opening a path to cloud migration, liberating data for access by cloud applications, including analytics, and eliminating costly tape systems and their well-known bottlenecks.
ACCELERATE AND SIMPLIFY MAINFRAME DATA MIGRATION TO CLOUD
Transfer any disk or tape data (current or historical) directly to the cloud with no need for interim disk storage. An autodiscovery function allows you to map and list all storage groups, volumes and data sets available for migration, and then deliver the defined data to the target cloud. Tape data sets stored in cloud storage can always be retrieved for processing by mainframe applications.
MONETIZE UNLOCKED MAINFRAME DATA BY ENRICHING BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE,
ANALYTICS AND CLOUD APPLICATIONS
Leverage any disk data or historical tape data for use by BI tools and analytics services. Mainframe data migrated to object storage on-premises or in the cloud can be transformed to standard data formats without requiring any access to the mainframe, instantly providing it for use in cloud applications and analytics tools.
SLASH MAINFRAME DATA MANAGEMENT COSTS BY ELIMINATING TAPES AND OFFLOADING PROCESSING TO zIIPS
Model9’s software-only paradigm saves on storage costs, software licenses, and reduces MSU consumption by 90%. This is accomplished by eliminating the need for costly tape hardware, such as VTL or ATL, and enabling affordable cloud or open storage systems. Model9 also replaces multiple software licenses with a single, unified solution. A tremendous reduction in MSU consumption is made possible by offloading backup and space management processing to zIIP engines
BACKUP, ARCHIVE, SPACE MANAGEMENT AND DISASTER RECOVERY IN THE CLOUD
Implement cloud backup and DR directly from the mainframe to any cloud or on-premises storage system. Perform backup, archive, space management and DR using object storage and fully replace legacy storage management software. This allows affordable long-term archiving using cold storage services such as Amazon S3 Glacier, and if disaster strikes, data can be restored directly from the cloud.
The Model9 architecture consists of a zIIP-eligible agent running on z/OS and a management server running in a Docker container on Linux, Linux on Z, or zCX. The agent reads and writes mainframe data from DASD or tape directly to cloud storage over TCP/IP using DFDSS as the underlying data mover. Other standard z/OS data management services are also used by the agent, such as system catalog integration, SMS policy compliance, and RACF authorization controls. Compression and encryption are performed either using zEDC and CryptoExpress cards if available, or using zIIP engines.
A data set import policy provides automatic discovery of tape data sets and facilitates migrating large amounts of tape data to the cloud. Using the product’s data transformation capabilities, tape data sets can also be accessed directly from the cloud by non-mainframe applications, such as data analytics and business intelligence tools.
- Transforms mainframe data, including DB2, VSAM, sequential and partitioned data sets, to standard formats such as JSON and CSV, in the cloud without consuming any Mainframe MIPS
- Provides storage, backup, archive, and full volume dumps directly to object storage, on-premises or in the cloud, requiring no additional hardware, software, tape emulation or interim disk storage
- Offloads 90% of data management processing to zIIP engines
- Runs side-by-side with existing backup and tape management software for simplified migration
- Hardware agnostic – supports any DASD, any tape system and any cloud storage
- Compression and encryption uses native mainframe hardware such as zEDC, Crypto Express, or zIIP
- Supports stand-alone restore (bare-metal recovery) with a program that is IPL-ed directly from cloud storage
- Managed through a modern and intuitive web-based GUI
- DFSMS-compatible – does not require redefinition of storage management policy
- SAF-compliant, integrates with existing mainframe security software for user authorization control
- Monetize unlocked mainframe data, current and historical, for use by BI and cloud analytics tools
- Leverage the latest cloud technology to replaceproprietary tape with cloud or open storage systems
- Cut costs by offloading data management processing to zIIP engines, reducing MSU consumption by 90%, consolidating software licenses, and utilizing cheaper storage platforms
- Leverage the abundance of non-mainframe skills to accommodate increasing data management needs with Model9’s easy-to-use software and UI
SUPPORTED HYBRID MULTI-CLOUD PLATFORMS
mainstorconcept Partner Model9 (c)